Tuesday, June 12, 2018

WEEK FORTY TWO - STILL SWINGING

Hello everyone!

Cochrane recently introduced a composting program, and gave everybody in town a compost bucket. The other day, Elder Allan asked me to empty the compost into the bin outside. The compost bucket has a bag in it, so you just grab the bag and throw it in the big green bin. I grabbed the bag and pulled it out of the bucket, to find that it was dripping. I put my hand under the dripping and ran upstairs to take it to the bin outside. I threw open the door and saw our neighbor working in the yard. She said hello, and apologized for startling me. In that moment, I realized I was wearing a shirt, but no pants. Instead of acting like a normal human being and going back inside to put pants on, I ran out to the bin (which was on the curb) and threw the compost away. I apologized to the lady for being out in my underwear, and went back inside.

So, no matter what stupid thing you did this week, at least you didn't go throw away compost in your underwear, have a conversation with your neighbor, and go back inside.

We've been trying to start teaching in Morley (the native-American reserve), especially since the stake president pulled Elder Allan and I aside and asked us about our teaching there. We haven't been making much of an effort recently, so we've been trying to work with a member named Lana to find people to teach. We set an appointment to come to her house on Friday, and she invited about 10 people to come and listen to us. They all confirmed that they were coming, so we were pretty excited. We showed up, but nobody else did. So Lana turned on the youth devotional with President Nelson, and we watched that while we waited. We're going to keep trying though!

We also had a family history finding opportunity this weekend with Cochrane Open Doors. Open Doors is an event set up by the town, where people can go into businesses and services and learn more about them. The family history center was listed on the website, we had signs set up, and pamphlets went all over town. Last year, 40 people came to it, so the family history consultant invited us to be part of it. We were really excited, so we set up with all sorts of really cool attractions and waited for the people to come. One person came the whole weekend, and she stayed for about two minutes. That was a little discouraging, but we did try!

President Nelson came to Calgary this week, and spoke to the stakes in the area. He talked about the Book of Mormon and the importance of learning from it and studying it. It was pretty awesome!

Don is doing good still! We met with him last night, and he's doing good. Addison is also doing great! She's going to be baptized on Saturday! I'm super excited for that!

This week was a little difficult, between composting and getting stood up for teaching appointments, but it's always important that we keep on swinging. In the gospel, there's no three strike rule! We have the opportunity to try, and to try again, as many times as we need.

I love you all! Have a great week!
Elder DeWitt

This is Jenny. Jenny stole my backpack. We showed up for dinner at the Millers, but they weren't ready yet, so we ran around in the backyard playing tag with their six daughters for about 30 minutes. I made six new friends, and apparently friends steal each other's backpacks.

My ancestry map! For Cochrane Open Doors, we had a big touch screen board that showed a whole bunch of fun facts about your ancestry from your FamilySearch account. It was super cool!

Elder Allan and his "peasant bread"

Me sitting on a bridge in an awesome provincial park we found on accident

No comments:

Post a Comment

WEEK ONE HUNDRED FOUR - THERE AND BACK AGAIN

"I wish to make this request: that the Elders who return from missions consider themselves just as much on a mission here as in Engl...