Tuesday, June 19, 2018

WEEK FORTY THREE - ADDISON!

This week was fantastic!

First off, Addison was baptized! The whole program went great, and three of her great-grandparents came up for it! It was really great, and we're really excited for her. We're hoping to help the Quallie's get more active in the ward, so that's what we're working on now!

A lot of other fun things happened this week!

I went on exchanges with Elder Wahlquist from Florida on Wednesday, which was fun! We went tracting, and saw an old lady bringing in groceries from her car. We walked over to her and offered to help, and started talking to her. We told her about what we do, and even though she wasn't interested in learning more at the moment, she asked where she would be able to get a copy of the Book of Mormon.She said she had always wanted to read it! Of course, I got super excited about that, and we gave her one with a pass-a-long card with our phone number on it. After we had talked for a bit, she said, "So why do they send you out so young? And so handsome?!" She gave us both hugs after we were done talking, which was really nice, since most people think that missionaries can't give hugs. (That's right returned missionaries! Nowhere in the white handbook does it say we aren't allowed to give hugs!)

Here in Cochrane, there are a lot of trees that release cotton-like seed things into the air. It's that time of year when the air is thick with it, and as we were walking, I accidentally breathed in a piece of it. I couldn't get it back out, so I was coughing for a good 20 minutes afterwards. Luckily (sort of), nobody opened the doors we knocked on, so I couldn't embarrass myself with my uncontrollable coughing.

We had a big chunk of time Sunday afternoon after church, so we decided to tract a side road out in the country. It was a super great idea, because no missionaries have ever tracted there before, so it would be the first time that missionaries have knocked on those doors! At the first house we walked up to, an older couple was sitting on a bench outside. The husband was from Croatia, and he said he was Catholic. He's not Catholic. He doesn't even believe in God. He proceeded to totally confuse me, and brought up some really good points that I wasn't able to answer. I didn't really know what to say, but I think I played it off pretty well. They were nice, but not very nice at the same time. After that, everybody was really nice, but not particularly interested. We gave out a lot of pass-a-long cards, and a Book of Mormon though! I count that as a success!

We had our district meeting yesterday, and one elder quoted his mom as saying, "Don't pray for cream, and live like skim milk." So much of the time, we pray for so many things, but we don't live and work like we want those prayers to be answered. We pray for the things we need, and then do our best to achieve them. The Lord then strengthens us and performs miracles in our lives.

We had our last zone conference with President Miles on Thursday. We had some training on obedience, which really changed a lot of the way I understand things. President Miles said, "Obedience does not equal salvation." When he said that, I was really confused. He continued to explain that the purpose of us being obedient is to show our love for the Lord. Our obedience makes us happy and blesses us. Our obedience prepares us to live with God again. But our obedience does not save us. We are saved by grace. Because of Christ's Atonement, we are all saved, and are all able to live with Heavenly Father again. That doesn't mean we can be disobedient! We won't even want to live with God again if we don't obey Him! Our obedience to God's commandments is the best preparation for eternal exaltation.

Here is a great talk that really explains what I'm trying to say, a lot better than I can.

I love you all! Have a great week!
Elder DeWitt
Me, Addison, and Elder Allan
Me and some random graffiti

Hiding from a massive rainstorm that hit while we were street contacting

Elder Allan reacts to the rainstorm


Zone Conference

No comments:

Post a Comment

WEEK ONE HUNDRED FOUR - THERE AND BACK AGAIN

"I wish to make this request: that the Elders who return from missions consider themselves just as much on a mission here as in Engl...