Election day was yesterday for Alberta provincial elections. People
have been going around and getting support for their candidates, and
there are a LOT of campaign posters around. The two major political
parties in this last election are the NDP (New Democratic Party) and the
UCP (United Conservative Party). We were walking back from a dinner
appointment in our suit coats, when we walked into a group of elementary
school kids standing on the sidewalk in front of us.
One of the boys brazenly demanded, "UCP or NDP?"
I
explained that we were missionaries, not political people. They didn't
know what missionaries were, so I explained what we do. I did encourage
them to vote when they get older, since that is the only stance that the
church takes on politics. As we walked away, the kids started chanting
"UCP! UCP! UCP!". It seems like Canadians aren't excited about politics
99% of the year, until the week of elections. Then even the kids get
into it.
We got a random call in the middle of
personal study from an old guy that we had helped earlier in the month
moving furniture. He told us that his friend had fallen down the stairs
and couldn't get up, and asked us to come and help him. We told him we
would come, but I was pretty sure he had meant to call 911. We showed
up, and he pointed down a long, steep flight of stairs to where another
old guy was sitting at the bottom. I noticed a big hole in the drywall
at the top of the stairs, and some blood on the floor. As we got down to
the guy who had fallen, we saw that he had an extremely swollen black
eye, and what looked like a broken finger. I suggested that we call an
ambulance instead, but he said he wouldn't because it would cost $1,000.
The guy definitely needed an ambulance. We helped him stand and brought
him upstairs, and over to his house next door. Brothers and sisters,
missionaries can help with a lot of stuff, but we aren't paramedics.
Please don't be stubborn and stupid and not call 911 when you really
need it. That's what it's there for.
We were
supposed to have an appointment with a potential investigator named Sam
this week, but he had to cancel. We walked by his house yesterday and
caught him outside! He said he was just leaving for Saskatchewan, but
that he would let us know when we could meet. That was a little miracle!
Since
I'm the district leader, I have to do the baptismal interviews for
everyone in our district. Last p-day, I did the baptismal interview for
Dahabo who is awesome! She's faced a lot of difficulty in investigating
the church, but she was baptized this last Saturday! She's determined to
stay active and serve in the church. This Monday, I'll have to
interview, not one, not two, but THREE people for baptism. It's AWESOME.
They're all out in Brooks, which is an hour drive.
Kathy
came to church on Sunday with her boyfriend Darren who is a returning
less-active member! It was great to see them, since it has been a while
since we had seen them in person. Lindsey also came to church! (She is
Sister Schow's friend.) We haven't started teaching her yet, but Sister
Schow has a great relationship with her, which is great.
Love you all! Have a great week!
Elder DeWitt
![]() |
| Me, Elder Francia, Sister Prince, and Sister Nagamine after Dahabo's baptismal interview |
![]() |
| Me, Walker, and Elder Francia after dinner. Walker made us a cheesecake! |
![]() |
| I found a desert plant! |
![]() |
| I put cream and socks on my hands because they were all cracked, and it looked really dumb, so I took a picture. |
| Me and the river. |
![]() |
| A picture Elder Francia took of me and edited during our personal study. |
![]() |
| Elder Francia took a picture of me |






No comments:
Post a Comment