Tuesday, April 17, 2018

WEEK THIRTY FOUR - DISTRICT LEADER SPEAKING MEXICAN

So we had transfers on Thursday!

My new companion is Elder Allan from Kanab, Utah! He is so awesome, and I'm really looking forward to working with him! He goes home in two transfers, so chances are that we'll be together for those last two transfers! I'm so excited. He's a great missionary, and a fun guy to be around.

Our mission president is a great guy. He also has this fun thing he does where he calls people to be the new district leader the day of transfers. He did that to me on Thursday. I really don't know what I'm doing at all, but I really love everybody in the district, and I'm excited to be serving them as district leader! Elder Allan was a district leader for a year straight in one of his areas, so I'll be able to ask him for help, which is super nice.

We were over at a family's house for dinner, and we had some really good burritos. I said something in Spanish (can't remember what) and Sister Barr said, "Oh do you speak Mexican? Since you live close to Mexico?" I kindly explained that in Mexico, they do speak Spanish, but I didn't speak it. I just know food and random phrases and words I learned from Spanish class.

Don is doing good! We talked about baptism, and how that's the next step for him, and tried to address his concerns. He's sort of worried about how his family will react to him joining the church, but he believes the things that we've taught, and he's doing great! He's expressed that as he keeps learning more, it will be easier to "defend" it when he tells his family about his decision. He wants to be taught the commandments, so he knows what he's getting into when he joins the church, which is totally the right idea. He's going to be baptized at some point! We just have to teach him the stuff.

On Sunday a guy showed up to church! He's in the Cochrane 1st Ward, but he came to our Gospel Principles class, and we taught the Restoration with the 1st Ward elders. He is super awesome, and he said that he wants to learn more! So awesome.

We were walking back from dinner last night, when a guy called to us, "Are you guys Mormons?" He walked up to us and started talking about how we were adding to the Bible and all sorts of things, and sort of ranted to us. We corrected some of his ideas, but I'm pretty sure that it won't change his ideas very much. I'm really glad that I got to work at the superior court over the summer, because now people don't scare me when they walk up and start yelling at me. I think it caught him off guard that I looked him in the eye, stood up straight, and didn't back up as he got closer. I'm sure that'll probably be bad when I'm actually in danger of being stabbed and just stand there, not really worried.

We have a few potential investigators that we're trying to start teaching this week! Elder Allan and I are really going to have an awesome time, and I think we're going to see a lot of baptisms these next two transfers. Stay tuned!

Love you all!
Elder DeWitt
 
Elder Allan and Me

Most of the ice and snow melted this week, so I had to take a picture.

The bridge
 
Of course, it dumped snow again, and we're right back where we started. Send help.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

WEEK ONE HUNDRED FOUR - THERE AND BACK AGAIN

"I wish to make this request: that the Elders who return from missions consider themselves just as much on a mission here as in Engl...