This week was quite interesting.
We
picked up three new investigators...sort of. They don't want to be
investigators, but they are anyways. Haley, Kelsey, and Andrew are
Vietnamese foreign exchange students staying with a less-active family
called the Ngo's. The Ngo family had us over for dinner, and afterwards,
Brother Ngo pointed to the students and said, "Teach them. They want to
learn about church and Book of Mormon." We had a little conversation
with their decent English and we talked a bit about the Book of Mormon.
Brother Ngo occasionally interjected with comments like, "They are very
shy and do not speak good English. Teach them and make them talk. They
are very smart and good. Tell them the gospel." Afterwards, he told us
(not asked) that we would be returning to teach them again the next
week. I suppose we should be glad to have some new investigators, even
if they aren't interested.
The Spanish sisters
in our area give us referrals sometimes, and they recently gave us one
to a Muslim woman named Radia. We went over a few times and weren't able
to catch her, but we were told by her husband Bilal that she would be
there on Saturday. We came by on Saturday
and he told us that she was gone, but he would like to talk to us. I
was really excited! Bilal is from Pakistan, and fled to Canada to escape
the problems there. However, Elder Jenkins and I were in for a real
treat because he was eager to tell us, "I am a teacher at my mosque." Oh
boy.
We talked for TWO AND A HALF HOURS about
Islam. He talked about how he uses science to back up all of his
beliefs, which means that some of his explanations for things are very
interesting. (e.g. Adam and Eve came from fish that changed genders and
evolved into humans) He really isn't very open to being baptized or
anything, but he likes to talk about religion. I do know a lot more
about Islam now though, so that is good...
Oh.
If any of you have a sack of potatoes that was left in your cabinet by
the last people who lived there, throw it away before it starts to
stink. Because it smells really bad and never goes away. That happened
to us. Our apartment smells really terrible.
Our
mission will be getting smartphones very soon! I'm really excited for
that, mostly because that means I don't have to write things down by
hand as often. Smartphones are really accelerating missionary work all
around the world, and they will definitely make it a lot easier to be
organized and effective. We'll be able to use videos in lessons too!
Pretty exciting!
Love you all! I'll talk to you next week!
Elder DeWitt
| It snowed a lot, making it feel like Christmas way too early. Also, it has never snowed during Christmas for me, so I'm not sure why it reminds me of Christmas. |
| Me and the snowy street and gas station. |
No comments:
Post a Comment